It matters who represents you in the state Legislature. That’s why the ELM Action Fund is working to elect environmental champions and build political power for everyone here in Massachusetts who cares about a clean and healthy environment. To help voters understand who is the right choice for the environment this fall, we have created our 2016 Massachusetts Green Voter's Guide. Below you will find our list of 54 incumbents and challengers who have been endorsed by the ELM Action Fund. These candidates were selected after reviewing the candidate’s record on the environment as well as answers to our candidate questionnaires and in some cases interviews.
Click on the name of an endorsed candidate to learn more about why we endorsed them and find their website to make a donation or get involved in the campaign.
We hope that you will take time to learn about the candidates and help support our efforts to elect our environmental champions. To learn more or to get involved with our work, please contact the ELM Action Fund at 617-742-0474.
CPA Ballot Question
If you live in one of the following cities or towns you have the opportunity to vote to adopt the Community Preservation Act. ELM is a long-time supporter of CPA, which has now been adopted by 161 communities across the Commonwealth. CPA helps communities preserve open space and historic sites, create affordable housing, and develop outdoor recreational facilities.
- South Hadley
- East Bridgewater
Our Endorsed Candidates
Click on the candidate's name to learn more about their campaign and how they earned our endorsement.
- Senate President Stanley Rosenberg, Democrat of Amherst in the Hampshire Franklin Worcester Senate District.
- Julian Cyr, Democrat of Truro in the Cape and Islands Senate District.
- Senator Jamie Eldridge, Democrat of Acton in the Middlesex and Worcester District.
- Senator Anne Gobi, Democrat of Spencer in the Worcester, Hampden, Hampshire, and Middlesex District.
- Adam Hinds, Democrat in the Berkshire, Franklin, Hampshire and Hampden District.
- Senator Patricia Jehlen, Democrat of Somerville in the 2nd Middlesex District.
- Senator Eric Lesser, Democrat of Longmeadow in the 1st Hampden and Hampshire District.
- Senator Jason Lewis, Democrat of Winchester in the 5th Middlesex District.
- Senator Barbara L'Italien, Democrat of Andover in the 2nd Essex and Middlesex District.
- Senator Marc Pacheco, Democrat of Taunton in the 1st Plymouth Bristol District.
- Senator Bruce Tarr, Republican of Gloucester in the 1st Essex Middlesex District.
House of Representatives:
- Representative Cory Atkins, Democrat of Concord in the 14th Middlesex District.
- Representative Ruth Balser, Democrat of Newton in the 12th Middlesex District
- Representative Christine Barber, Democrat of Somerville in the 34th Middlesex district
- Representative Tom Calter, Democrat of Kingston in the 12th Plymouth District.
- Representative Jim Cantwell, Democrat of Marshfield in the 4th Plymouth District.
- Representative Daniel Cullinane, Democrat of Dorchester in the 12th Suffolk District.
- Representative Josh Cutler, Democrat of Duxbury in the 6th Plymouth District.
- Representative Angelo D’Emilia, Republican of Bridgewater in the 8th Plymouth District.
- Representative Mike Day, Democrat of Stoneham in the 31st Middlesex District.
- Representative Marjorie Decker, Democrat of Cambridge in the 25th Middlesex District.
- Moses Dixon, Democrat of Worcester in the 17th Worcester District.
- Representative Dan Donahue, Democrat of Worcester in the 16th Worcester District.
- Representative Carolyn Dykema, Democrat of Holliston in the 8th Middlesex District.
- Representative Lori Ehrlich, Democrat of Marblehead in the 8th Essex District.
- Representative Tricia Farley-Bouvier, a Pittsfield Democrat in the 3rd Berkshire District.
- Representative Kimberly Ferguson, Republican of Holden in the 1st Worcester District.
- Dylan Fernandes, Democrat of Falmouth in the Barnstable, Dukes and Nantucket District.
- Solomon Goldstein-Rose, Democrat of Amherst in the 3rd Hampshire District.
- Representative Kenneth Gordon, Democrat of Bedford in the 21st Middlesex District.
- Representative Danielle Gregoire, Democrat of Marlborough in the 4th Middlesex District.
- Representative Stephan Hay, Democrat of Fitchburg in the 3rd Worcester District.
- Representative Jonathan Hecht, Democrat of Watertown in the 29th Middlesex District.
- Sarah Hewins, Democrat of Carver in the 2nd Plymouth District.
- Natalie Higgins, Democrat of Leominster in the 4th Worcester District.
- Paul Jacques, Democrat of Rehoboth in the 4th Bristol District.
- Aaron Kanzer, Democrat of Barnstable in the 2nd Barnstable District.
- Representative Mary Keefe, Democrat of Worcester in the 15th Worcester District.
- Jack Patrick Lewis, Democrat of Framingham in the 7th Middlesex District.
- Representative Jay Livingstone, Democrat of Boston, in the 8th Suffolk District.
- Representative Adrian Madaro, Democrat of East Boston, in the 1st Suffolk District.
- Joan Meschino, Democrat of Hull in the 3rd Plymouth District.
- Kara Nyman, Democrat of Hanover in the 5th Plymouth District.
- Matt Patrick, Democrat of Falmouth in the 3rd Barnstable District.
- Representative Denise Provost, Democrat of Somerville in the 27th Middlesex District.
- Representative William "Smitty" Pignatelli, Democrat of Lenox in the 4th Berkshire District.
- Representative Dave Rogers, Democrat of Cambridge in the 24th Middlesex District.
- Representative Paul Schmid, Democrat of Westport in the 8th Bristol District.
- Representative John Scibak, Democrat of South Hadley in the 2nd Hampshire District.
- Representative Frank Smizik, Democrat of Brookline in the 15th Norfolk District.
- Representative Thomas Stanley, Democrat of Waltham in the 9th Middlesex District.
- Mike Toole, a Norton Democrat in the 1st Bristol District.